Electronic cigarette (e-cigarettes or vapes) is a kind of electronic device that is used by heating the liquid that contains nicotine. The liquid then becomes vapor and stimulates the sensation of smoking a cigarette. Compared to a traditional cigarette, e-cigarettes does not comprise of the hazardous cocktail of compounds found in tobacco.
In recent times, e-cigarettes have gained much popularity mostly among the younger generation. But little did they know that vaping extensive amount of flavored smoke produces a high level of toxins.
However, according to a study from the University of California, San Francisco, e-cigarettes, which are sold in a variety of flavors, produces the excessively hazardous level of Formaldehyde and carcinogenic compounds that are known for causing numerous health hazards.
Highlighted below are some of the health risks that may subsequently affect one due to unseemly use of e-cigarettes.
1) Chemicals such as benzaldehyde and vanillin, used as flavoring agents in these cigarettes are known to cause respiratory issues. Besides, the World Health Organization reported that vaping kills more than 7 million people each year.
2) There are about 7,000 different varieties of flavors available for e-cigarettes. In a study published in the journal Environmental Health Perspective, highlighted that the flavoring substance, diacetyl, is linked with “popcorn lung” disease. Popcorn lung disease is a serious disease that causes coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. It is a condition that causes scarring of tiny air sacs in the lungs thereby resulting in thickening and narrowing of the airways.
3) Even a single puff of any of the flavored e-cigarettes can produce the unacceptably higher level of dangerous chemicals like aldehydes.
4) Vaping causes inflammation in the lungs and over time can result in serious lung disease.
5) A study conducted by the University of Connecticut found that nicotine e-cigarettes and unfiltered cigarettes are corresponding to produce significantly higher levels of potent tobacco carcinogen that are likely to cause substantial damage to one’s DNA.
6) According to National Center for Biotechnology Information, people who vaped fruit flavors had higher levels of acrylonitrile, a highly poisonous compound that is extensively used in manufacturing plastics, adhesives and synthetic rubber compared to those, who did not use those flavors.
7) Vaping can inflame cells of the mouth in such a way that could severely elevate one’s risk of getting tapered by gum disease. Consequently, gum diseases carry the risk of destroying tissues of the teeth, thereby leading to loss of the tooth.
Although e-cigarettes are considered less harmful than traditional cigarettes, they still carry the risk of causing chronic and stern damages to one’s health. In fact, a recent report shredded light on the risks carried by these vaping devices. The report said that although e-cigarettes do not contain nicotine, youngsters who smoke e-cigarettes expose themselves to substantially higher levels of cancer-causing chemicals.
Like this article? Leave your feedback and don’t forget to share it in your group.
Want to contribute? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?